31 August 2006

Learning

In a reflective bout of madness while shelving books in the library, I came to the realization that this time of living in a not-so-home-y dwelling helps me to understand what Jesus was saying when he said that the Son of Man has nowhere to place his head. This is not meant to be a holier-than-thou moment, but I have realized how materialistic I am and how much I put my comfort level above serving God. I long for comfort, I long for security, but then realize that these longings are deceptive.

God has a way of always growing and teaching when we are willing to spend some time with him. Believe it or not, this has been a struggle here in New Orleans.

I sure miss lying on the couch, zoning out while watching some sports on the television. But I'm pretty sure this is not what God had in mind when he made the Sabbath. There is a difference between being restful and being lethargic.

On a different note, this afternoon, while still a little warmer than I like, was absolutely amazing and beautiful. As I walked to the student center, I imagined Elise and I sharing an afternoon like this out on the lucious lawn beneath the shade of an oak. We could just sit there and stare at each other for all I care. It would be glorious.

No comments: